Friday, January 23, 2009

What I think of Emma so Far...

Actually I really like it. It's a lot better than I thought it would be. I like Emma but I think she finds herself a little to perfect. I'm glad that Mr. Knightly tells her what he thinks of her. I think I may end up liking him a little better in some ways than Mr. Darcy. I know shocking isn't it?:p But do like that he's not as proud as Darcy is. But I like Elizabeth better than Emma still. Lizzy is just very funny. I do like Mrs. Weston and Harriet Smith. I agree with Mr. Knightly I don't think that Emma and Harriet should be such close friends. I'm afraid Emma will make Harriet think herself better than her family, and that Harriet will make Emma become haughty. After I finish the book I'm going to try to find the movie. Which one would you suggest?

3 comments:

Sara said...

Mr. Churchill was played by Ewan McGregor, Obi-Wan from the later star war movies!!! Can you believe that?

Anonymous said...

Thak you Lydia for your comment!:) I really like this blog I am going to put a link from my blog to yours. I really like the movie "Emma" too. Actually, I like ALL the Jane Austen movies!
Blessings,
Hannah

LauraW said...

I love all the Jane Austen books, Emma included. Emma is in a unique situation in the Austen Canon, she is rich. Unlike Elizabeth, or Fanny Price, or any other heroine, she is rich and therefore is under little pressure to enter into marriage. She has freedom to choose for love with not much consideration of fortune. She is however, a snob, and would never consider marrying, or even associating, below her notice (someone such as Mr. Martin).

I re-read the part in Chapter 5 where Mr Knightly says he does not approve of Emma and Harriet's friendship: Yes I agree that he thinks Emma will make Harriet view herself more important than she is (he thought Harriet's marriage to Mr Martin a very lucky match for her whereas Emma did not). In reference to Emma however, I think its also because Harriet is uneducated, even a bit silly, that Mr Knightly does not think she will be improved by the acquaintance. Yes, Emma is worshiped by Harriet, logically making Emma haughty, and because Harriet does not really bring anything to the friendship - information, experience or connection - Mr Knightly does not approve of the relationship.

Yes? What do you think?